“Wellness can be defined as purposeful, enjoyable living or, more specifically, a deliberate lifestyle choice characterized by personal responsibility and optimal enhancement of physical, mental, and spiritual health”
– Hales (2009)
For people with mental health & substance abuse conditions, wellness is not the absence of disease, illness or stress; BUT presence of purpose in life, active involvement in satisfying work and play, joyful relationships, a healthy body and living environment = happiness.
Nurture Woodlands runs a wellness in-patient program, providing care and treatment to people with psychiatric and psychological challenges.
The program is tailor-made to suit patients’ specific needs and includes individual therapy sessions, a variety of therapeutic groups, organised recreational activities to serve as a break from therapy sessions and personal time for relaxation, dining and rest – this is also an important part of your recovery process.
Self and Emotions
Some topics include:
- Management of emotions (identification and regulation)
- Human Touch
- Personality Styles
- Value Clarification
Skills for your Life’s Toolbox
Some topics include:
- Time management
- Stress management
- Resentment & forgiveness
- Anger management
- Trauma & loss
- Financial wellness
The Effect of the Environment and People on the Self
Some of topics include:
- Depression, culture and spirituality
- Building relationships
- Mental toughness
- Legal smart
Other Experiential Learning
- Horse therapy sessions (dealing with fears and problem solving in a practical way)
- Walks in nature (along a stream, climbing a hill)
- Life story
- Gym and swimming
- Game drive
When you come to Nurture Woodlands, you will be accommodated at our facility at the Woodlands Hills Wildlife Estate in Bloemfontein. A modern and comfortable facility in a quiet area on the fringes of the city.
You will experience comfortable accommodation, good food and a safe and secure environment, but you will work hard during the time you are with us.
Upon arrival, patients are given a detailed guide so that they are familiar with the programme of activities and given an orientation session where they have an opportunity to discuss their treatment.
Patient participation is vital in ensuring success on their journey to wellness. The program of proven therapeutic and recreational activities are designed to guide patients to recovery.
You will work hard during the time you are with us. Helping you to be a happy and fulfilled person in the short while that we have you with us, is a big task and responsibility. But, if you give your commitment and energy, it will all be worthwhile, that is our promise.
You will need comfortable clothing and shoes to wear during the day and in the evenings. Please remember that you don’t need to bring anything fancy. We would like your stay to be as comfortable as possible.
Please bring the following:
- Clothes and shoes that you can wear when you exercise.
- Comfortable clothes to wear during the day while attending sessions. We have facilities available so that you can wash your clothes if necessary
- Shoes that you can wear when we go for walks and outside activities
- Two sets of sleepwear
- Toiletries – enough for 2-3 weeks
- Some cash for consumables that you may need, we sell airtime, cigarettes, snacks & washing powder. We do not have any ATM’s available and no banking will be allowed during your stay with us
- Other personal things that you really cannot live without, but please bring as few valuables as possible.
- All chronic medication
The following items will be kept in safekeeping during your stay:
- Bank cards, medical aid cards, airline tickets, passports, etc.
We recommend that you leave the following valuable items at home:
- Cell phones, IPods, CD players and Cameras
- Laptop computers and electronic diaries
- Sporting equipment and books
Why We Are Good At What We Do
We firmly believe in a patient-centred approach by utilising “Wellness” as a model and incorporating experiential learning as one of the pillar techniques.
Our patient-centred approaches help people to live better lives. That means having:
- Support and understanding
- A purpose
- A meaningful day/week
- Family, friends and acquaintances that can provide love and support
- Self-awareness that can lead to self-acceptance
- Growth and self-development
- Social groups to belong to and share with
- People that treat you as an individual and worthy equal
- Control over the direction of one’s life and future
- Good health
- A belief system based on own values and choices
- Safety, security and justice
- Please contact us for any queries or requests.
- A maximum of TWO visitors are allowed per patient, visitation in patient rooms is not permitted.
- Arrange all special requests regarding visitors in advance with the patient coordinator.
Woodlands Hospital is a Nurture Health Hospital and exists to inspire, support and equip our patients to lead a happy and fulfilled life.
Find out more about Nurture Health and the other Nurture Health Hospitals in South Africa.